Definition: Action Short of a Strike
Action short of a strike is when the employees of an organization engage in an action that cannot be classified as a strike nor is it the work that the employee is hired to do, but it is somewhere in
Workers engage in action short of a strike to interrupt the normal flow of business and functions in the workplace or department so as to make the employer realize that they are dependent on the employee’s goodwill to run the business and hence they should not engage in practices which are against the interests of their employees like job cuts and pay cuts.
When an ‘action short of a strike’ is designed it includes maximum number of people possible so that the impact is strong.
1. Workers withdrawing their goodwill
2. Work to rule
3. Workers refusing to cover up for others
4. Workers refusing to work overtime
6. Workers refusing to work overtime or outside contracted working hours
7. Workers refusing to do any work outside their Jo description.
It is different from a strike as a strike is a walk -out by workers for a particular period of time. Example: All employees leaving the workplace at the same time during normal office hours.