Organizational Citizenship Behavior (OCB) is defined as the context or performance in which any job or task takes place.
It is basically being a person who is ready to serve the organization in matters that is outside the scope of his/her job domain.
It includes being helpful, caring towards other employees in the organization.
Example, Helping out a newcomer in an organization with his work, working overtime sometimes in order to get convert clients, etc
1. People who engage in OCB often tend to receive better ratings, further it boosts the morale of others in organization.
2. People engaging in OCB, often faces lower risk of destaffing, as they are considered to be more valuable owing to their helpful nature.
3. OCB can further enhance productivity within a team, a group or by an employee in general, as people are there to support & help each other
4. Creation of better communication links & developing new networks, further boosting employee morale.
Ways to encourage OCB: From Workplace perspective
1. Maintaining the social environment in the workplace: Employees interact, connect & they develop bonding
2. Supervisory role: Training people about the implications of OCB will help them in this practice.
3. Hiring the right candidates.