Definition: Boundaryless Careers
Boundaryless Careers are the careers which are meant to span across a set of different organizations, sectors, domains & not a single organization. The people following such careers have no specific scope of operation & their jobs range across several parameters.
1. Boundary less careers is more focused on developing one’s skills by working for several organizations.
2. The person is known for the job he does or the expertise he possesses, and not the employee for which he works
3. They prefer higher amount of flexibility, wages, for the high amount of knowledge accumulation that they possess.
4. Boundary less careers are similar to temporary workers, which is on the rise given the number of externalized work & outsourcing.
1. Scope of earning a higher salary, in following a boundary less career.
2. The companies gain from the expertise of the person, as the knowledge accumulation of the person is high.
3. Diverse experience from various companies helps, as in case of analytical arenas.
1. Difficult to find a regular income whenever a person is out of a job.
2. Confidential information may not be directly available to the person, which would make it difficult for the person to analyze the situation.
3. The companies may find it difficult to utilize the skills of boundary less workers, as they are likely to attrite within a short span.
Thus even though the concept is popular in the west, it is now catching up with the east. Boundary less careers are on the rise, as people feel the need for change.